Your mouth houses not only your teeth but also a variety of soft tissues. Their health plays a role in your overall oral health hence you must also look after them.
Just like your teeth, your soft tissues are vulnerable to dental emergencies. With their soft, sensitive composition and massive web of blood vessels, they are easily injured and can bleed profusely. It is because of this that an oral tissue injury often looks worse than it really is.
At Caringbah Dental Care we tend to all dental emergencies. We have a same-day emergency appointment to relive you of your pain as soon as possible.
Common Soft-Tissue Injury
The soft tissues in your mouth are the gums, lips, tongue, and cheeks. Each is very sensitive and can be injured by even a small accident. The following are the common causes of soft tissue injuries.
- Forceful blow or impact to the face
- Work related accidents
- Sports accidents
- Vehicular accidents
- Hard or sharp food
Soft tissues injuries could be:
First Aid Steps
In case of an injury to your soft tissue, follow the following steps:
- Remove all foreign materials by rinsing your mouth thoroughly. Use an antiseptic mouthwash or a salt-water solution. For the saline solution, dissolve 1/2 teaspoon of salt to eight ounces of lukewarm water. Use this to rinse your mouth several times.
- Apply direct pressure on the injured area by pressing a clean absorbent material to the area for 10-15 minutes to control bleeding.
- To reduce swelling, apply cold compress.
- Call and visit your dentist immediately.
The soft tissues may bleed substantially a few minutes after an injury. This ebbs and stops after administering first aid steps. However if the bleeding continues, this could mean a more serious injury to your soft tissues.
Treatment At Caringbah Dental Care
Most soft tissues injuries are minor and do not need extensive treatment from a dentist. The injured area is usually cleaned thoroughly to avoid any infection.
In serious accidents, stitches might be needed to close the wound and stop the bleeding.
Same Day Dental Emergency Appointment At Caringbah Dental Care
In case of a dental emergency, call and visit your trusted Caringbah Dental Care team. We have a same-day emergency appointment to relieve you of your pain as soon as possible.
Call (02) 9524 7047 or visit us at Shop 3 10-20 MacKay Street in Caringbah.